Sunday, May 4, 2008

There is always this

Confronted of course with the option of abandoning the small animal of the body, and thus one's soul and prospects for any redemption. I consider these endless web-logs as a potentially mephistophelean exchange: I will give up my best friend so that I may write about him in a web log, and make of this relationship a perfect work of art. He may have made the same bargain on his side: but what is this not but another setting forth? Well we all have to set forth for another 20 years or so, and then take another 20 years or so getting back. And when we get back there, wherever it is, we found of course that life has changed us, that we are something else, and that is no big news in some way: but this is what 20 years does: it changes us.

So I go on writing web-logs. In part because it is the only thing I can do. And with each keystroke I lose the animal of my old friend, and perhaps I gain some fragment of a spirit that will last forever, but what is a spirit, my friend, but a ghost, and what are ghosts for the living. Live well my friend, and don't be a ghost whatever you do.

1 comment:

Ayres said...

One could say in a more literary turn of phrase: "confronted by the option of abandoning home and everything heretofore recognizeable, I, your erstwhile author have taken a moment to stare in trepidation and disbelief: I realize that I might have made the Faustian bargain with the devil..." This would run a little more dramatically than the posting I made here previously concerning "abandoning the small animal of the body." At least that is what I think in re-reading this.

Now for the record I set the reader, present, past, futural, straight on the issue of going to the devil or dealing with the devil. I have no particular love of the dark side of human existence: sex, drugs, or violence in large ammounts is anathema to me.

What I am saying is that even the kindest man must watch his pride and arrogance: and yes even his web-logs. I may be guilty of a kind of arrogance. I will not attempt to cover this up. I would rather do my pennance in this world and in this lifetime than put it off to any further date: either in some "afterlife" or in the very course of this planet having to deal with de-toxifying its soul from the selfish toxicity of the psyches involved here.

I am simply preaching against the sinfulness of spiritual arrogance, not promoting anything that would resemble savagery to one's fellow human beings.