Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Cresswell Consciousness Dilemma

Still back publishing images from the Arcadian Moment, still back in the hall of Lisa Lane and Theresa Buffo at a time sitting with Oppermann and Cresswell 20 years ago or more.

Cresswell is a seminal figure in the Arcadian: he was brilliant, as close to an embodiment of Nietzschean philosophy as I have ever seen a person represent: he would spend his summers in Alaska on a fishing boat.

Later we would compare Cresswell to Treadwell. I am speaking of Michael Cresswell and Timothy Treadwell, the man who appears in Grizzly man: another blonde idiot in a Werner Herzog film: there certainly was room for Cresswell to be insane: at moments verging on a macho chauvenism that was quite possibly unkind. Nonetheless he remained a figure for me of a man in whom I placed a great deal of veneration. A senior, an upperclassman at this time. The seniors definitely had actually had the exposure I yearned for desperately. Cresswell went on to write a senior thesis on Horkheimer, Adorno and the Frankfurt School.

I saw Cresswell a few times when I lived in Colorado Springs post-arcadia. He then vanished out of sight.



This last image of Cresswell somehow strikes pain into my heart. I feel glad that it actually is now uploaded into a relatively stable continuum of the internet. Which reminds me really that all this attempt to place these images and thoughts online is for the sake of the fact that we as friends keep forgetting and misplacing so much about each other as we look off into the infinite distance of the night.




No comments: